Building record MDR6208 - St Peter's and St Paul's Church, Long Duckmanton, Sutton Cum Duckmanton
Type and Period (2)
(Medieval to Elizabethan - 1150 AD? to 1560 AD?)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
[SK 4430 7147] St. Peter's Church on site of Church [G.T.] (1) The church of St. Peter at Duckmanton is mentioned as early as the reign of Henry II (1154-1189). The benefice of Duckmanton was consolidated with that of Sutton in 1558 and it is supposed that the church was pulled down about that time. Nothing whatever is known of the fabric, except that it was situated in that part of the village known as Long Duckmanton. During the 17th century there are interments in the church of Sutton of residents at Duckmanton, which seems to indicate the disuse of the churchyard as well as the church, although the vicarage house is referred to in a terrier of Duckmanton dated 1612. (2)
'A Chapel of Ease was erected here some years ago and a burial ground of half an acre opposite has been recently laid out at the expense of Mr Arkwright'. (3)
The evidence for associating the present church with the site of the medieval church is uncertain. The present church is a 19th century brick and stone building, in use for public worship. No evidence of an earlier church was seen. (4)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4429 7148 (23m by 13m) (Centre)
SUTTON CUM DUCKMANTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:30AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.