Skip to main content

Monument record MDR6210 - Staveley corn mill (remains of), River Rother, Staveley

Type and Period (2)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

[SK 42977475] Domesday book records a mill at Staveley. This stood on the Rother at the end of Mill Green Lane but nothing remains of the Domesday Mill. It was followed by a stone-built building, and two narrow stone windows of one light at the front of the mill may be a part of the medieval building. At the back of the mill are old Tudor mullioned windows but the greater part of the building is of later construction. This mill has ceased to function since the end of last century. [Photos show mill with roof stripped of covering but otherwise complete. Three-light mullioned windows visible. Sited on end-map.] (1) The place-name Mill Green is identified with a reference in 1316 to a mill at Staveley. (2) The mill-building is now a ruin. The south-west and north-west walls survive to eaves height but the remainder average c.1.0 high. The building was mainly of irregularly-coursed masonry with worked stone quoins and detail. The south-west wall contains two and three-light mullioned windows now extensively damaged. There are a number of modern insertions, some in brick. The two narrow one light stone windows mentioned by Authy. 1 are visible on the north-east side. They are at outside ground level, set in worked stone fragments of walling on top of which is built the irregularly coursed masonry of the main structure. The interior contains mill stones and sluice-channels. The inlets to these latter have been blocked and a modern weir has been erected north-west of the mill. See GP AO/59/48/6 (3) A mill at Staveley is recorded in Domesday Book. It stood on the River Rother and is shown on Greenwood's map of 1825. A photograph taken in about 1946 showed it to be a two-storey stone building, roofless by that time, with a mill dam alongside. According to the associated text, it ceased to work at the turn of the 19th century. Millers include Benjamin Smith, 1835, John Lee 1881-1895 and William Bennett, 1899-1904. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Court, A. 1948. Staveley: Some Historical Notes, 2nd edition.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Smith. Place-names of Derbyshire, Pt. 11, 1955,.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: F1 WW 03-JUN-59.
  • <4> Index: NDAT. 1828. 1828.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'English Place Names Survey' The Place Names of Derbyshire. Part II, p 303.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C31, p 128.



Grid reference Centred SK 4296 7476 (29m by 29m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 14 2017 11:30AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.