Listed Building record MDR6218 - The Chantry, High Street, Staveley
Type and Period (3)
The Chantry, High Street, Staveley, possibly a 13th century chapel originally. SK 4327 7481. No 39 High Street (The Chantry) is a medieval, stone rubble building of two storeys. It is said to have been a chantry founded by the Frecheville family or, alternatively, a chapel founded by the Musard family in the 13th centry, but this is disputed. The interior has indications of massive timbering. A number of skeletons were unearthed here in 1904. Grade II listed. (1-3) There are indications of massive timbering internally, spaced oddly. (4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'HIGH STREET 1. 1675A (West Side) No 39 SK 4374 1/12 25.2.66. (The Chantry) II 2. Medieval. It is said to have been a chantry founded by the Frecheville family or, alternatively, a chapel founded by the Musard family in the C13, but this has been disputed. Stone rubble; 2 storeys, with gabled end to road; 1 storey plus attic to right with 1 stone dormer; plain sashes, irregularly spaced; old stone slab roof. The interior has indications of massive timbering, particularly in the roof, where the timbers are oddly spaced out. A correct interpretation of the building architecturally would only be possible during a process of partial stripping out of later work. A number of skeletons were unearthed here in 1904. Unoccupied and much in need of repair at time of survey. Reference: Arthur Court, 'Staveley, my Native Town' 1948, with photograph. Listing NGR: SK4327674813.' (5)
- <1> SDR5295 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Staveley UD Derby March 1974 5.
- <2> SDR109 Photograph: Court, A. 1948. Staveley, My Native Town. in book?.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 327-328.
- <4> SDR11379 Index: NDAT. 3073. 3073.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1088319.
|Grid reference||SK 43276 74813 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 28 2021 9:11PM