SK 45727491 Woodthorpe Hall. Woodthorpe is mentioned as early as 1264, but the current building is mainly 19th century, a hilltop farm. (1, 2)
Woodthorpe Hall appears to be a dullish four-bay two-storey farmhouse showing all the signs of 18th or early 19th century vernacular architecture; only an overlarge rear chimney breast suggests that here may be more to this house than meets the eye. In fact it includes remains of a medieval hall, the surviving remnant of a very large seat built, in all probability in c. 1400 by William Rodes of Thorpe, Yorkshire. The house and estate was later sold to Bess of Hardwick, from whom it descended to the future Duke of Newcastle. He dismantled most of the old hall (which appears to have stood round a courtyard). All that remained was the great hall, suitably divided up to make a passable farmhouse, and an "ancient chimney piece". The farm was tenanted from the later 19th century. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 79.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4570 7491 (90m by 95m) (Centre)
STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:31AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.