Monument record MDR6246 - War Memorial, Market Place, Bolsover, Old Bolsover
Type and Period (2)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (First World War to Early 20th Century - 1918 AD? to 1921 AD?)
SK 4733 7048 CROSS [GT] (1) In the upper Market Place, Bolsover, are the remains of an ancient cross. It has a base, eight feet square, with five tiers of steps. The cross survived the religious differences of the 16th and 17th century, but fell into decay during the late Georgian period. In 1887 the steps were repaired but a lamp-post was erected in the socket. There was a market at Bolsover from the 13th century. (2) The cross was demolished, c.1921, when the present War Memorial was erected in its place. Despite extensive enquiry no trace of the cross has been found and the stones were probably broken up for road metalling. (3) The site of the medieval market cross is occupied by a modern war memorial cross. No trace of the medieval cross was found. (4) Quotes reference in 1655 to Bolsover Market Cross. (5) The cross had a base 8ft square with 5 tiers of steps. (1-5)
- <1> SDR12018 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1918. 25".
- <2> SDR7204 Bibliographic reference: Downman, E. 1895. History of Bolsover. pp 56ff.
- <3> SDR6500 Personal Observation: F1 WW 12-NOV-59.
- <4> SDR6500 Personal Observation: F1 WW 12-NOV-59.
- <5> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 451.
- <6> SDR11054 Index: NDAT. 1631. 1631.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4733 7048 (7m by 7m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:32AM