Listed Building record MDR6248 - Church of St Peter, Staveley
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian to 21st Century - 1849 AD to 2050 AD)
Church of St Peter, Staveley, built in 1849 over an earlier chapel. 'About a mile and a half from Staveley is the hamlet of Woodthorpe. Here Peter Frecheville by his will, bearing date 16th March, 1632, caused certain recently-erected buildings to be converted into an hospital or alms-houses for eight poor men and women, and he describes its situation as on "the south side of the chapel". This, it appears, was a chapel previously erected by him…'. (1) 'Sir Peter Frechville, in 1632, founded a chapel and hospital here. Service is occasionally performed in the chapel by the rector or his curate'. (2) According to Bulmer's Directory, the chapel in Woodthorpe was taken down in 1849, and the present church erected on the site, by the Duke of Devonshire, at a cost of £1,700. (3) The church is completely modern. The terrace of four cottages facing (at SK 45133 74528) has the appearance of almshouses but nothing is earlier than 19th century. (4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'The following building shall be added: STAVELEY WOODTHORPE ROAD SK 47 SE Woodthorpe Church of St Peter 827-0/5/10000 II Church. 1849. Patron: The Duke of Devonshire. Coursed, squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; steeply-pitched graduated slate roof. 3 bay nave with small semi-octagonal chancel and west bellcote. Early English Gothic Revival style. Cusped lancets with hoodmoulds; offset buttresses to each angle, between the windows and flanking the west entrance. Single door beneath double- chamfered arch with hoodmould; 2-light window above. Gablet kneelers and overlapped gable copings. Buttressed and gabled bellcote; rolled lead ridge and east gable cross. Chancel has 3 windows as nave and hipped roof. Interior: original benches and fitments; octagonal stone font at east end; 2 figurative memorial windows in south side. Chancel has encaustic tilework below coloured-glass windows with heraldic devices. Built as a Chapel of Ease at a cost of £1700. A chapel has existed here since 1632, its bell dated 1636 hangs in the west bellcote. Listing NGR: SK4512174554.' (5)
- <1> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. 363-364.
- <2> SDR2399 Bibliographic reference: Bagshaw, S. 1846. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire. 668.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 261.
- <4> SDR6326 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 24-NOV-65.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1329365.
|Grid reference||SK 45121 74554 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2022 1:36AM