Monument record MDR6282 - Post mill (site of), Bolsover Moor, Old Bolsover
Type and Period (1)
- POST MILL (Georgian - 1795 AD to 1795 AD)
- None recorded
Site of a Post Mill built on Bolsover Moor in 1795. (1-2) Bolsover had two windmills, a tower mill at Hilltop [SMR11220] and a post mill just off Welbeck Road. A fire insurance policy dated 1795 suggests that the post mill was built in that year. It is believed to have been a large open trestle post mill which had two pairs of stones, flour machine and sack hoist. One of the sails was split longitudinally by lightning during a storm, and for its last years of life it worked with only two sails. (3) A large open-trestle post windmill, now gone, used to stand immediately behind the steam cornmill [SMR 11219], and they worked together for many years. (4) Neither Greenwood's map of 1825 nor Sanderson's map of 1835 show a windmill at this site. (5, 6) Information is scarce regarding the history of the earlier sail mill on this site. Kelly's Directory of 1891 lists Thomas Bagshaw, farmer and miller (wind and steam). Recollections of an old inhabitant of Mooracre Lane, Bolsover, recalls that the Welbeck Road post mill was still standing in c. 1917 but did not work and was dilapidated. It was probably dismantled in 1922/23. (7)
- <1> SDR10818 Index: NDAT.
- <2> SDR2407 Article in serial: Baker P H J and Wailes R. 1960-1. The Windmills of Derbyshire... Part 1. Volume 33, Number 1. p 127.
- <3> SDR19226 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 42.
- <4> SDR11053 Index: NDAT. 1630. 1630.
- <5> SDR8547 Map: Greenwood, C & I. Map of the County of Derby from an Actual Survey made in the Years 1824 & 1825. 1" = 1 mile.
- <6> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <7> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).1, attached note.
|Grid reference||SK 479 706 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:34AM