Pleasley Park [T.U.] is marked on the OS map of 1955. (1)
Pleasley Park is mentioned as Parco de Pleseleia in 1209 and Pleseley Park in 1338. (2)
No trace of a pale can be seen around the present park. (3)
There is at present no trace of a pale around the park though various earthworks have been identified within the wood and recorded by Major Rooke in 1789 and Bagshawe in 1846 (see SMR 12020). Ordnance Survey investigators noted only natural features. (5)
A large area of woodland above the river Meden gorge, forming the boundary between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, bears the name Pleasley Park. The boundary of the park has made use of this natural feature to provide a barrier on the south side. Remnants of a wall survive in places on the top of the bank. The original park probably continued east as far as the county boundary to encompass Warsop Park, Stuffin Wood and Little Wood, with Wood Lane providing the boundary to the north. The landscape has been much altered following coal mining. The first record of the park occurs early in the 13th century. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 134-135.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 52639 65760 (2482m by 1634m)
PLEASLEY, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2018 12:09PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.