Site record MDR6333 - Site of Ashbourne Hall Moated Site, off Portland Road, Shirebrook
Type and Period (2)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Former site of Ashbourne Hall moated site, a potentially medieval earthwork, off Portland Road, Shirebrook. A medieval manor is first recorded in Bolsover as being held by the Pleasley family, then passing to the Harcourts of Newnham in 1311, then to the Leakes in 1422. It is thought that none of these families lived in the manor itself, but tenants would have occupied the site. 'The manor is mentioned in various documentary sources which indicate that a moated manor stood on the site by the early 16th century. Documentary sources allude to the manor possibly being the home of the Deb Lowes family who changed their name to Shirebrook.' (1) The moat is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of 1880. (2) The VCH includes an 1905 reference: 'At Ashbourne Farm, Shirebrook are the faint traces of a small moat, apparently of the homestead character'. (3) Personal observations noted in 1966 reported that there were no obvious traces of a moat at that time. (4) Faint traces of a moat around Ashbourne Farm were recorded in 1905. However, nothing was visible in 1966 or 1977 after extensive redevelopment in the area. (5) An evaluation carried out in 2014 exposed three sections of the moat in as many trenches. The ditch measured between 5.8-6.25m wide and 1.1m at its greatest depth. It contained fills from which 19th and 20th century finds were derived. (6)
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXVI.16, 1884.
- <3> SDR19691 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. p 390.
- <4> SDR6357 Personal Observation: F1 JB 09-JUN-66.
- <5> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 84.
- <6> SDR24014 Unpublished document: Winfer, J (AOC Archaeology Group). 2014. Land off Portland Road, Shirebrook: An Archaeological Evaluation Report. 6.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5287 6756 (72m by 76m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHIREBROOK, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2021 2:12PM