The earliest evidence for a forge at Pleasley appears to come from an article written by Sitwell in 1888 in which he speaks of the Upper and Nether Forges at Pleasley being worked before 1655. In 1662 they were presented at Nottingham assize by reason of stopping the river. During this period the works were in the hands of George Sitwell of Renishaw. Burdett's map names the site as 'Pleasley Forge' and locates it in Pleasley Vale some way east of the village. Pleasley appears in all three lists of forges printed by Hulme but is given an output of zero in one of the lists. In 1787 the site was said to be a cornmill and it does not appear in the 1794 list. In fact, Pleasley was one of several ironworks sites in the region taken over by the cotton industry in the later 18th century. All trace of any forge buildings would, as elsewhere, have been swept away when the cotton mills were built. (1)
SMR 12024 gives details of Pleasley Vale Textile Works.
Unpublished document: Riden, P. 1982. The Charcoal Iron Industry in the East Midlands - A Gazetteer of Sites.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 51 64 (point) (Approximate)
PLEASLEY, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2011 12:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.