Monument record MDR6395 - Deserted/shrunken medieval village, Steetley
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
[SK] 54788 Deserted village of "Steetley in Worksop… Land much robbed by quarrying (now in Derbys)." This site is listed under the classification "Early losses". (1) A much greater area of land has now been quarried away. Inspection of air photographs and of the ground was negative. Mr. Anderson, Works Manager of the Steetley Quarries, has had nothing reported to him during removal of top soil. (2) SK 543787 The field adjoining Steetley Chapel was ploughed in autumn 1961 'for the first time in living memory', vide Mr G White of Steetley Rows, who noticed probable foundations of 'lost' village with medieval potsherds. (3) 12th-15th century pottery was recovered from 'ploughed down mounds' in Steetley Church Field in 1961. (4) Nothing seen during field investigation. (5) Steetley deserted medieval village. Listed in survey. (6) 'Steetley', first documented in 1154-67, appears to have been an ancient parish and rectory. The manor of Steetley was presented to the rectory by the Vavasour family and the succeeding Frechevilles in 1348, 1355 and 1370. The manor was conveyed to the Wentworth family in 1571. (7, 8) In North Derbyshire, the deserted villages recognised on the Magnesian Limestone plateau tend to be small. There are no major roadways passing through them, only small lanes or blind alleys. Steetley in Whitwell is the only deserted village to have a building remain above ground, the chapel of All Saints [see SMR 15155]. (9) Slight rectangular platforms were noted on heavily ploughed land in June 1976. (10)
- <1> SDR374 Bibliographic reference: 'Lost Village of Eng.' 1954, p.378. (M. Beresford).
- <2> SDR6043 Personal Observation: F1 ASP 18-SEP-59.
- <3> SDR4134 Bibliographic reference: Corr. 6" (S.O. Kay, 27.5.62).
- <4> SDR5682 Article in serial: 1961. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 5. p 5.
- <5> SDR6614 Personal Observation: F2 JB 09-NOV-65.
- <6> SDR5031 Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p201.
- <7> SDR84 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 286.
- <8> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p328.
- <9> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p128-9, p 161 (Fig. 10:23).
- <10> SDR11148 Index: NDAT. 1987. 1987.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 544 788 (356m by 375m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:39PM