Site record MDR6451 - Belph Mill and millpond (site of), Whitwell
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SK 537 757 Belph, Whitwell, Watermill (site of). Place name evidence - Millash, Pond, Millhouse on Rutland Map of 1789 suggests the presence of a water mill here, possibly of Medieval date. Now a colliery tip. (1-2) A mill is shown at this location on Burdett's map of 1767 and on Greenwood's map of 1824/5, being named as 'Belph Mill' on the latter. (3, 4) John Hind was the miller at Belph Mill from 1850 to 1864 and W Hind from 1876 to 1887. A steam engine may have been added to the mill by the 1880s. The site was covered over by Whitwell Colliery extensions. (5) A mill is shown on Millwood Stream south-east of Whitwell on a map of 1767, in a position to the north-west and upstream of the Belph Mill shown on later maps, such as that of 1835 by Sanderson, which shows the mill in a more south-easterly position, with a separate mill pond to the west, close to where the mill had been indicated on the earlier map. Belph Mill was a cereal-milling site that may also have had a ropewalk for processing flax. Although the mill (and other neighbouring buildings) survived up to about 1945, a coal mine (Whitwell Colliery) had been established in the first decade of the 20th century. Not long after 1945 Belph Mill and other buildings were demolished as the mine's spoil spread to the north and east. In 2006 a watching brief was undertaken during Severn Trent Water operations. It was concluded that almost all structural evidence for the mill had been removed during the operation of Whitwell Colliery. (6)
- <1> SDR11174 Index: NDAT. 2041. 2041.
- <2> SDR5587 Verbal communication: Dolby M, curator at Doncaster Museum.
- <3> SDR3582 Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
- <4> SDR8547 Map: Greenwood, C & I. Map of the County of Derby from an Actual Survey made in the Years 1824 & 1825. 1" = 1 mile.
- <5> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C35, p 129.
- <6> SDR21234 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPA). 2011. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Millash Lane, Whitwell, Derbyshire, 2006.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 535 758 (257m by 274m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2020 2:28PM