Monument record MDR6458 - 16th century house (possible site of), Highwood, Whitwell
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 51457655 Highwood, Tudor house (possible site of). (1) Highwood is referred to as 'Heywood' in 1599 (2) and is shown as 'Heywood' on Burdett's map of 1767. (3) A site called Highwood in Whitwell is mentioned in 1585 as being in its own lands in the common. The site of the present Highwood Farm might be the same as that of the 16th century house. (4)
- <1> SDR11178 Index: NDAT. 2045. 2045.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 329.
- <3> SDR3582 Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
- <4> SDR5587 Verbal communication: Dolby M, curator at Doncaster Museum.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5145 7655 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:41PM