Monument record MDR6477 - Artefact scatter between Clinthill Lane and the B6043, Whitwell
Type and Period (2)
- FLINT SCATTER (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Fieldwalking in a ploughed field in October 1977 produced a very thin scatter of finds, only 11 flints in approximately 15 acres. These included two crude tortoise scrapers, a large barbed and tanged arrowhead and 8 waste flakes. There was also a single worn sherd of Romano-British pottery. (1) Three further sherds of Romano-British pottery were found during fieldwalking of the southern margins of the field in 1992, in advance of a proposed pipeline route. They comprised three rims, one of which was identified as Derbyshire Ware. A couple of lumps of flint and a flint flake were also found. (2) Test-pitting and a trench excavated in this area provided additional Romano-British pottery and revealed a number of closely spaced and roughly parallel intercutting gullies. Although a recent agricultural origin is the most likely interpretation, one small gully that contained two Romano-British greyware body sherds and two heat-affected stones could conceivably relate to Romano-British activity. (3, 4)
- <1> SDR11328 Index: NDAT. 2689. 2689.
- <2> SDR20869 Unpublished document: Wall, I (Creswell Heritage Trust). 1992. Report on a watching brief during geological exploration along the line of the Lowtown to Barlborough Trunk Main Duplication, North East Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR20870 Unpublished document: Knight, D & Priest, V (TPAT). 1997. Archaeological Evaluations Prior to the Construction of a Trunk Water Main between Barlborough and Hodthorpe, Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR21340 Article in serial: Knight, D & Priest, V (TPAT). 1999. 'Prehistoric and Romano-British finds beetween Barlborough and Hodthorpe, Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5199 7706 (380m by 215m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:41PM