Building record MDR648 - All Saints' Church, Church Street, Glossop

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The nave of All Saints' Church, Glossop, was rebuilt in 1914-15, the tower in 1854. A 15th century arch at the east end of the north aisle is all that now remains of the earlier church. (1) This parish church has 14th century origins, although it was largely rebuilt in 1837 by Matthew E Hadfield and J G Weightman. The nave was remodelled in 1913 by Charles Hadfield, and the chancel was added in 1924 by M Hadfield. It is built of coursed millstone grit and ashlar, with ashlar dressings, coped gables with kneelers and Welsh slate roofs. The church comprises a west tower with spire, a nave with aisles and a south porch, an ashlar banded chancel with a north chapel and a south organ chamber and a vestry. The lower courses of the tower include reused medieval masonry. There was a 14th century arch re-erected in the north chapel. Fittings include choir stalls with traceried front rails. There is also an elaborate wooden polygonal pulpit, with scenes in relief under traceried canopies on a clustered marble shaft. Some 19th century glass was reused from the old church. In the tower, there is an unusual mural monument to members of the Wood family, dated 1874, with a white stone surround, segmental pedimented pilasters and seated figures framing the sarcophagus, over which stands an angel bearing a laurel crown. (4) Inside the tower of Glossop parish church is a large 'Aztec'-looking stone head, along with a second bearded head with a row of 'cigarette' holes, both free-standing, one placed on top of the other. Two corbel heads one either side of an arch in the north transept are 'Celtic' in style but more elaborate than is normal. Two heads, supposedly from the church, were taken to Whitfield Primary School, Pykes Lane, Glossop. Other heads are supposedly buried in the churchyard of Old Glossop parish church. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Article in serial: Lawrance, H (Rev.). 1917. 'The rebuilding of the nave of Glossop Church, 1914-15', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 39, pp 81-89.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 JB 18-AUG-65.
  • <3> Index: NDAT. 0979. 0979.
  • <4> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 484671.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Petch, M. 1989. A List of Celtic Heads and Associated Sculpture in Derbyshire. p 4, nos 23 & 24; p2, no. 11.


No mapped location recorded.


Grid reference Not recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1200

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2017 12:43PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.