Monument record MDR6494 - Belph Grange, Whitwell
Type and Period (1)
- AUGUSTINIAN GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
The site of Belph Grange may be represented by an earthwork with a rectangular platform on the south-west edge of a bank and ditch. The majority of the interior of the island is covered by recent farm buildings. (1) The grange was held by Worksop Priory from the 12th century. There is a reference of 1305 to the 'grangia de Belgh'. The earlier name was Hirst, to which there was a reference in 1154-1167. In 1535 the Valor Ecclesiasticus Henrici VIII lists amongst Worksop's possessions 'The graunge of Belgh otherwise called Hyrste'. (2) Medieval grange belonging to the Augustinian Priory at Worksop. The North Derbyshire Augustinian granges tend to be sited on better land than those of the Cistercians, more suitable for mixed stock and arable farming. Structural features are still evident at Belph Grange. (3)
- <1> SDR11212 Index: NDAT. 2174. 2174.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 328.
- <3> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 155, 157 (fig. 10.19), 162.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5506 7563 (214m by 151m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HODTHORPE AND BELPH, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:42PM