Monument record MDR6505 - St Mary Magdelen's Chapel (site of), Creswell
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Early documents relating to the vicarage of Elmton speak of "Elmeton una cum capella de Creswell". At Creswell, the remains of an ancient chapel now form part of a farmstead. A small early Norman light, in what used to be the west gable of the chapel, is still quite perfect. The remains were more obvious and considerable until an alteration of the farm buildings about forty years ago [ie c. 1839]. The road leading to the railway station is still known as "Chapel Lane". The chapel was dedicated to St Mary Magdalen. (1) There was an ancient chapel at Creswell, but the only vestige of it now remaining is a walled up window over the stables of the Portland Arms public house. The road leading to the railway station is still known as Chapel Lane. The chapel was dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. (2) There are no identifiable remains of this chapel. "Chapel Lane" is not known locally. (3) The western end of the modern Elmton Road is shown as Chapel Lane on a map of 1793. (5)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 465.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 245.
- <3> SDR6096 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 15-OCT-65.
- <4> SDR10982 Index: NDAT. 0848. 0848.
- <5> SDR19364 Map: Rodes. 1793. Map of Elmton and Creswell.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 526 744 (46m by 51m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:42PM