[Area SK 513 738] There is said to have been a Roman encampment on the site now called Camp Hill or Sand Hill. Several ancient coins were found on the adjoining farm and a silver coin was found recently bearing a bust and the word "Caesar". (1) Nothing of archaeological interest seen. Enquiries regarding the coins were negative. (2) Camp Hill, Elmton, may be referred to in the Thurgarton Abbey Cartulary, c.1200, which mentions the "fossatum castelli". Nothing is visible, due to regular ploughing, and except for a record of "several spear heads" from the Oaks Farm area [SMR 5213] nothing more is known. (3-4)
Aerial photographs have revealed a series of cropmarks at Camp Hill, continuing north-west and south-west into adjacent fields. The salient feature is a group of rectilinear single-ditched enclosures in the north-east corner of the field, apparently of several phases. Several other linear features are visible together with a scatter of possible pits and at least 3 small curvilinear features up to c.12m in diameter which could represent hut foundations. Typological comparisons suggest a later prehistoric or Romano-British occupation focus, but little artefactual evidence in support of this interpretation has so far been obtained. Roman coins have been reported from the site (see 1) while systematic fieldwalking yielded four moderately abraded Romano-British sherds including one of Samian, a flat-rim dish in grey ware (2nd-3rd century?) and two grey ware sherds. The cropmarks accord the site a high rarity value in the context of the Magnesian Limestone escarpment. (7, 8)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 245.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 15-OCT-65.
Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 143.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 257.
Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. Victoria County History: Derbyshire, Vol.1. p 257.
Article in serial: Knight, D, Garton, D, & Leary, R (TPAT). 1998. 'The Elmton fieldwalking survey: prehistoric and Romano-British artefact scatters', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 118, pp 69-85.
Archive: Knight, D (TPAT). 1984-1986. Fieldwalking Survey of Elmton - archive fieldwalking sheets held in the SMR. Acc. No. 105.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 51259 73762 (325m by 236m)
ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:42PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.