Monument record MDR651 - Flint scatter, Cown Edge Rocks, Charlesworth
Type and Period (1)
- FLINT SCATTER (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- None recorded
Cown Rock, south of Glossop, has produced a small quantity of flint waste of possible Mesolithic aspect. (Cown Edge Rocks - SK 0191). (1-2) Perambulation of Cown Edge Rocks produced no finds of flint. Manchester Museum have no material from this region. (3) SK 010 910. A few unretouched Mesolithic blades or flakes were found "to south of town" near Cown Rocks. The finds are now in Manchester museum. (4-5) Track along Cown Rocks is in area of SK 019 915. (6)
- <1> SDR8528 Bibliographic reference: Manchester Museum.
- <2> SDR9063 Article in serial: Manby, T. 1963. 'Some Mesolithic Sites in the Peak District and Trent Basin', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 10-23. pp. 10-23.
- <3> SDR6241 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 13-OCT-65.
- <4> SDR16368 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J J (ed). 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic Sites in England and Wales: Council for British Archaeology (CBA) Research Report 20.
- <5> SDR7434 Bibliographic reference: Radley, J. Information from Radley, J regarding flint scatters and finds, unknown date.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 019 915 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 9:10AM