Evidence of the shrinkage of medieval Elmton. There are clear earthwork hollows and platforms in the angle of the present road system, northwest of the church and Grange Farm. (1)
It is not obvious from the above description whether the angle to the north or south of the road junction is referred to. However, Sanderson's map of 1835 shows a lane running between Oxcroft Lane and Spring Lane which has the appearance of a back lane, suggesting that the medieval village once extended as far north as Oxcroft Lane. (2)
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 5014 7342 (268m by 312m) (Centre)
ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:42PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.