Building record MDR6523 - St Peter's Church, Elmton
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD? to 1760 AD?)
- PARISH CHURCH (Georgian - 1771 AD to 1773 AD)
The steeple and west end of Elmton Church collapsed in 1760. Much of the remaining fabric was pulled down and the new church completed in 1771. (1) 'Elmton church is an unsightly Georgian structure, dedicated to St Peter, and consists of a chancel, nave and bell turret. But a very old church, dedicated to St Peter, formerly stood upon this site. At the time of the Domesday Survey, mention is made of a priest and a church at Elmton'. In 1760 a Brief was granted for the rebuilding of this church, and it appears from a date over the porch to have been completed in 1771. (2) Elmton had a church and priest at the time of the Domesday Survey. The present church, which is dedicated to St Peter, was wholly rebuilt in 1771, in a tasteless style that characterised that period. It consists of chancel, nave, and a bell turret containing three bells. The church was re-seated in 1894 by the Duke of Portland, and a vestry and organ chamber were added at the expense of the parishioners. An old sepulchral slab has been preserved;it is ornamented with a cross fleury, and bears a portion of the inscription, 'Orate pro anima Roberti Berbi' ('Pray for the south of Robert Berbi'). (3) A grade II* listed parish church built in 1773. It is built of sandstone ashlar and has hipped and gabled welsh slate roofs. It comprises nave, chancel and north vestry. It also has a low tower rising only a short way above the nave roof. It has a pitched roof with plain gable ends and moulded eaves cornice. There is a south doorway with moulded architrave, bolection moulded frieze and cornice. It contains a pair of 19th century plank doors. To the north is a 20th century brick boiler house and chimney not of special interest. The church has a plain plastered interior with a flat ceiling. It has a circular font on an octagonal base. There is an 18th century pulpit with raised and fielded panels, fluted pilasters and tester. See list description for more details. (4)
- <1> SDR10983 Index: NDAT. 0849. 0849.
- <2> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 235-237.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 244-5.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 79294.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 502 734 (25m by 12m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:42PM