During the building of a bungalow on the south slope of Shire Hall [sic], Glossop, about 3/4 mile east of Glossop, a Late Bronze Age cinerary urn was found inverted on irregularly placed stones. The level of the rim coincided with a charcoal layer. The base of the urn was 2 inches below an old turf line. There were indications of a shallow grave, 3ft across, in which the urn had been placed. (1)
Councillor J.C. Hurst indicated the position of this find at exactly SK 04949426. He retains all the material, and stated that the urn was lifted by Prof. Simpson of Leeds University. It was inverted on a charcoal bed. Cremated bones were found, also fragments of a skull. There were no grave goods nor any evidence of a mound. (2)
In 1958 a large Middle Bronze Age cinerary urn was found at Glossop and remained in the possession of the owner until July 1968 when he kindly gave it and its contents to Buxton Museum. The urn was found during the excavations for his bungalow on the south slope of Shire Hill, Glossop. It was inverted in an erect position with its rim resting on a layer of charcoal overlying stones. The removal of the urn in a perfect condition was impossible owing to its fragile state. The fragments were carefully extracted from the surrounding soil and were taken away by Dr E J Fisher of Harrogate. The urn was later skilfully reconstructed by Mr H J Stickland. Numerous burnt human bones were found within the urn, but there were no further finds. The dimensions of the urn are: height 13 ins; width at top of rim 11 ins; width at widest part 11½ ins; width at base 6 ins. It has an overhanging rim with incised trellis decoration which extends down part of the body. The grave in which it lay appeared to be a shallow one, about three feet across, and the burnt bones were on the top of brushwood. There were no indications of a mound over the burial or of other burials on the sloping surface in the near neighbourhood. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Ramm, H. 1958. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, Vol. 1.
Personal Observation: F1 FC 07-SEP-65.
Article in serial: Jackson, J. 1968. 'A large cinerary urn and Roman coin found at Glossop', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 88, pp 96-97.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p27.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 0494 9426 (point) (Centre)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 22 2012 3:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.