SK 5122 7150 Whaley Farm, Medieval Pottery. A field survey at the northern boundary of the woods revealed vitreous material, and medieval potsherds of which one was a waster. Enquiry established that dumping had taken place in 1968 of soil excavated from a large barn in Bingham's Farm, some 320m (350yds) north of Scarcliffe Park. (1-2)
Mr Longden found layers of green glazed pottery when building new barns circa 1974. Clay available locally, but only green-coloured slag was seen when visited by C R Hart on 25/3/1977. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Lane, H C. c.1969. 'A Romano-British Native Settlement... Scarcliffe Park', Peak Arch Soc No. 25. pp 19-24. p 20.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1744.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 5122 7150 (point) (Centre)
OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.