Monument record MDR6553 - Neolithic/Bronze Age Flint Scatter, Scarcliffe Park
Type and Period (1)
- FLINT SCATTER (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 513706 Scarcliffe Park, Flint Scatter. In compartment No. 17 of the forestry plantation, a widespread Neolithic-Bronze Age flint scatter over an area 700yds by 350yds, centred on SK 518704. (1-3) East of sites 28 and 38 there are areas of flint debris, and a barbed and tanged arrowhead has been found here. (3) The wooded area of Scarcliffe Park contains at least one medium-sized Bronze Age settlement of approximately 20 acres, with large amounts of waste material, scrapers and barbed and tanged arrowheads. This site lies adjacent to the Beaker barrow (SMR12302). (4) Found by Derwent Archaeological Society, as part of field surveys carried out in the 1960s and 70s.
- <1> SDR11070 Index: NDAT. 1743. 1743.
- <2> SDR8189 Bibliographic reference: Lane, H C. c.1969. 'A Romano-British Native Settlement... Scarcliffe Park', Peak Arch Soc No. 25. pp 19-24.
- <3> SDR4728 Bibliographic reference: Lane, H C. 1973. Field Surveys & Excavation .. at Scarcliffe Park, E. Derbys., Derwent Arch. Soc. Research Report No 1. pp 1-42. p 9, Fig. 5.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 56.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 519 704 (738m by 495m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:43PM