Monument record MDR6618 - Cairnfield and field system, south-west of Swine Sty, East Moor, Curbar
Type and Period (3)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
On a low-lying ridge to the west of Sandyford Brook is a small area of well drained open moor where there is a sinuous stony bank and a cairn, 2m in diameter. These may be the vestiges of a prehistoric cairnfield disturbed by later activity. If so, it may have continued to the northwest, where there are 19th century intakes. (1) Field system including linear banks and small cairns. These are likely to be Bronze Age. Field banks have incorporated several elongated cairns. The prehistoric field system survives in an area which also contains the remains of two rectangular field plots interpreted as medieval or post-medieval enclosures [SMR 4508)] as well as a drystone animal pen which is probably post-medieval [SMR 4509]. Scheduled (2). Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (3)
- <1> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p 43; Fig. 15.
- <2> SDR16421 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Cairnfield and field system 450m SW of Swine Sty. 31257. Cat. No.: 457.
- <3> SDR22274 Unpublished document: Wyatt, S (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairnfield and field system N of Eaglestone Flat, 450m SW of Swine Sty.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2664 7487 (84m by 112m)|
|Civil Parish||CURBAR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2017 11:30AM