Building record MDR6636 - Nether Hurst Farm, off Hurstclough Lane, Outseats
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (Tudor to Stuart - 1540 AD to 1700 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Tudor to Stuart - 1540 AD to 1700 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
Nether Hurst Farm, Hathersage. Partially extant 17th century farmstead. The farmstead is of a dispersed plan with multiple yards. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) One of the oldest farms in the area. At one time it was a small manor house, approached via Gatehouse Lane. In the early 17th century, it was a well known place for Catholic Recusants. A cross is deeply incised in the stonework nearby. (5) A grade II listed farmhouse dating to the 17th century, with later alterations and additions. It is built of roughcast gritstone with plain gables, end ridge stone stacks and a stone slated roof. It is of two storeys and four bays, that to south end possibly an addition. There is a former three-light recessed chamfer mullioned windows to the northern bay, now with 19th century horizontal sliding sashes. To the next bay, there is a quoined doorway and massive lintel with chamfer and a plain planked door. To the south, there is a single-light window with chamfered surround and diamond-paned leaded light. The two bays at the south end have later ground floor windows, one with a 19th century sash, the other with a 20th century frame with top hung light. The interior is altered, but retains exposed ceiling beams. (6)
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR16459 Index: Tomlinson, T. 1983. Peak Park Treasures F18. F18. F18, 1983.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1159267.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 221 828 (11m by 16m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM