Monument record MDR6638 - Settlement and field system, northeast of Toothill Farm, Hathersage
Type and Period (5)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SETTLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LYNCHET (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Sub-oval field with fragments of others. 18-26 cairns and one linear clearance. Cairns range in diameter from 2.0m to 7.5m. It was noted in 1982 that one cairn (no. 18) had been robbed recently. (1) This isolated fragment, on a shelf at 345-360m OD, is surrounded on three sides by intakes. One irregular field is defined by relatively continuous banks. The incorporation of several cairns suggests chronological depth. There is a second similar field defined by short stretches of liner clearance and cairns. To the northwest of these, two short banks define smaller fields. To the southeast there are several cairns, the central location of the largest cairn suggesting that they are clearance cairns within a field never defined by banks. (3) Scheduled. (5) Sketch plan (6)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR17235 Index: NDAT. 2154. 2154.
- <3> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. pp 28-29, fig. 7.
- <4> SDR16468 Index: Hart, C. (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B249. B249.
- <5> SDR18170 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29796. Cat. No.: 387.
- <6> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. sketch plan: Butcher.
- <7> SDR15202 Article in serial: Beswick, P and Merrills, D. 1983. 'L H Butcher's survey of early settlements and fields in the Southern Pennines', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Volume 12, pp 16-50. p 28, fig. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2437 8215 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM