Monument record MDR6643 - Milestone near Overstones Farm, Outseats
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Milestone on the north side of the old Hathersage-Ringinglow road. Its approximate height is 1.2m, and the stone is at an angle. The only remaining piece of the inscription is "8" (miles from Sheffield). The stone is unpainted and from the same series as SMR no. 7441. (1)
This milestone is placed at the side of the Overstones diversion round Callow Bank, a steep gradient on the original route of the 1758 turnpike which ran through Hathersage to Ringinglow and beyond. This bypass was built at some time between 1758 and 1767. The stone is a simple gritstone slab with straight sides and an arched top. The side facing the road is simply inscribed with an '8', the number of miles from Sheffield. (2)
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. The North Lees Estate, Outseats, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. p 21, Feature 9.
Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/OUT/01.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2482 8293 (point) (Centre)
HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.