Monument record MDR6644 - Milestone, The Crofts, Hathersage
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A milestone now standing on the entrance to a new estate, situated on the Castleton to Sheffield road. On the front is an iron plate put in by Hathersage Historical Society stating "10 MILES TO SHEFFIELD". The remaining portion of the inscription reads "10" and the stone is not painted. (1) The "0" of the inscribed "10" has now been eroded away. The "1" is still visible, with "miles" still visible below it. The stone is approximately 1m high, 0.4m wide and 0.08m deep. Its original site is not known. (2) Photographic record. (3-4) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 has 'M.S. (Old)' on the main road, approximately 10m south-east of the present site. (6)
- <1> SDR16481 Index: Davies, J (PPJPB). 1983. Peak Park Treasures D284. D284.
- <2> SDR16476 Personal Observation: Observation from site visit. Stroud, G. 08-Jun-1993.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1993: 22a-23a.
- <4> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1993: 7441.1-2.
- <5> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/HAG/02.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 2308 8155 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM