Monument record MDR6660 - Cairn, Bamford Moor, Bamford
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Steep-sided cairn of dimensions Length : 13.5 m, Breadth: 12m and Height: 0.5m. Has been disturbed but may have had a flat top anyway, now heather covered (1) Also described as a ringcairn, with intermittent traces of a kerb. Generally in a good condition apart from slight disturbance in the SE quadrant. (2) Part of larger barrow cemetery. The raised interior of this site and scattered rubble indicate that this is not a ringcairn but a badly robbed barrow. The site lies near SMR 1011 but they are not intervisible. The Ordnance Survey, HAS and NDAT all record several other features as barrows in the vicinity. Some of these are ruined shooting butts, others are rabbit warrens, sets and natural features-none are convincing antiquities.
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16553 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 6. SK 28 SW 6.
- <3> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
- <4> SDR16554 Index: NDAT. 0203. 0203.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p104.
- <6> SDR16555 Index: Preston, F. L. (HAS). 1956. Index D/8, D/9. D/8, D/9.
- <7> SDR7143 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1963. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 94-96. p95.
- <8> SDR16556 Index: Hart, C.. 1977. Peak Park Treasures B250. B250.
- <9> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <10> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 28:4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2122 8492 (18m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 9:05AM