Monument record MDR6661 - Cairnfield, Bamford Edge, Bamford
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Area of clearance cairns, 5-7 in number and ranging form 2.5m to 4m in diameter. There have been several others recorded by L. H. Butcher which have proved to be rabbit warrens. (1) Numerous cairns east of quarry and west of Hurst Brook. The average diameter is 2m and the average height 15cm. (2) The cairns are situated on a gentle south east facing slope and constitute about 6 irregular shaped small stony mounds. These are not burial cairns and are almost certainly an attempt at field clearance. Though much of the area is obscured by deep heather, this has been burnt off in certain places but there is no evidence of associated fields, walls or lynchets, though the ground does have a 'cleared' appearance. Area delineated on 1:10560 Record Sheet. (3,4) To the west of Hurst Brook, on a sheltered east-facing slope, are between five and seven small cairns ranging from 2.5m to 4.0m in diameter, and two possible stretches of linear clearance. (9) Cairnfield consists of a stone-free area within which are approximately 6 small cairns 2.5m - 4m in diameter. These, along with two short lengths of linear clearance indicates that the site was used for cultivation and may have been divided into field plots. There is one large cairn that may have been used for funerary purposes, having a diameter of between 5m and 7m and standing in a prominent position. (10)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16560 Index: Preston, F. L. (HAS). Index D/68. Volume 12, D/68.
- <3> SDR19476 Bibliographic reference: R1 DJC 21-MAY-62.
- <4> SDR6605 Bibliographic reference: F2 ISS 16-MAY-78.
- <5> SDR16561 Index: NDAT. 0207. 0207.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR16562 Index: Hart, C.. 1977. Peak Park Treasures B253. B253.
- <8> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
- <9> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p 26.
- <10> SDR18230 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 29840. Scheduling Notification. 29840. Cat. No.: 405.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 218 843 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM