Monument record MDR6662 - Cairn, Clough House, Bamford Edge, Bamford
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 213844. A barrow, completely flattened and discernable only by a circular arc of stones flush with the ground; estimated diameter 6.0-7.0m. Found in 1957 by Mr A Miller. (1) Prominently situated at SK 21378435 just below the summit of a ridge on its south-west side is a hether-covered stony mound 7.0m in diameter and 0.6m maximum height. It is not flattened and does not answer completely to Mr Miller's description but it it what he is referring to and is without doubt a cairn in fairly good condition. (2) A round cairn situated on the edge of an escarpment (3) Scheduled. The cairn measures approx. 8m in diameter and appears to be undisturbed. Made of turf and stones rising to 0.6m high. The surrounding area appears to be uncleared. This suggests the mound was made as a funerary cairn. (8)
- <1> SDR7336 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Archaeological Society Index. D/157.
- <2> SDR6607 Bibliographic reference: F2 ISS 18-MAY-78.
- <3> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <4> SDR16565 Index: NDAT. 0204. 0204.
- <5> SDR16566 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B77. B77.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 28:8.
- <7> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <8> SDR18337 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29827. Cat. No.: 415.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2136 8434 (18m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 9:11AM