Monument record MDR6663 - Cairn, Bamford Moor, Bamford
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 215844. Barrow, diameter 6.0-7.5m; 30-60cm high. Found in 1957 by Mr A Miller near the southern end of Bamford Edge. (1) Situated at SK 21538442 below a ridge on a north-east facing slope is a heather-covered cairn 7.5m in diameter and 0.6m maximum height with a slight central hollow. There are a number of earthfast boulders around the perimeter, possibly representing the remains of a kerb (including a large upright slab in the south-east with a modern structure 2.0m by 1.4m built up against it on the outside). (2) A cairn, the dimensions of which are: length: 8.5m, breadth: 7m and height 0.5m. There are also two large kerbstones to be seen to the south (3). Scheduled. Cairn on shelving land facing north-eastwards. Slightly disturbed, the cairn is generally well preserved displaying complex structural features. It measures 10m x 9m and stands 0.75m high. Disturbance in the centre of the cairn suggests unrecorded excavation. Exposed at one side are 3 upright stones forming part of a carefully arranged kerb around the base of the cairn (7)
- <1> SDR7336 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Archaeological Society Index. D/157.
- <2> SDR6607 Bibliographic reference: F2 ISS 18-MAY-78.
- <3> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <5> SDR16565 Index: NDAT. 0204. 0204.
- <6> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. B76, Hunter Arch. Soc. 1972.
- <7> SDR18879 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notice: Cairn on Bamford Moor, 680m north of High Lees Farm. SAM 29839. Cat no 408.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2153 8442 (17m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 9:12AM