Monument record MDR6705 - Cairnfield, Offerton Moor, Offerton
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Cairnfield, the main group of which is to be found to the east whilst a smaller group is to be found in the west. The eastern group has 27-29 small cairns, the diameters of which range from 1.5 to 7m, there is also some fragmentary linear clearance. The western group, located on a sheltered south east facing slope near to a stream has 5-8 small cairns ranging from 2 to 4m in diameter. (1) The cairnfield was surveyed by R. Perret of the Hunter Archaeological Society in 1981-2. (2) (12) A number of arrow heads and potsherds have been found within the barrows located on this moor (7) Some specific dimensions of a number of the barrows follow: Barrow (SK21218068) (13) Barrow (SK20968073) Diameter = 6m, Height=0.3m (14) Barrow (SK20778066) Diameter = 15m, Height 0.3-1.5m (15) Barrow (SK20728063) Diameter = 4.5m, Height 0.3m (16) Barrow (SK212807) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (19)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR16546 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1987. 'Bronze Age settlement on the East Moors of the Peak District of Derbyshire & S. Yorkshire', PPS. Volume 53.
- <4> SDR16547 Index: NDAT. 1611. 1611.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR16548 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 384. p394.
- <7> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR16721 Index: HAS. Index. D86/7.
- <9> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7. p175-7.
- <10> SDR16723 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 9. SK 28 SW 9.
- <11> SDR7143 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1963. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 94-96.
- <12> SDR16724 Index: NDAT. 1612. 1612.
- <13> SDR16725 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B68. B68.
- <14> SDR16726 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B69. B69.
- <15> SDR16727 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B70. B70.
- <16> SDR16728 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B71. B71.
- <17> SDR16729 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B79. B79.
- <18> SDR18377 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 31249. Cat. No.: 447.
- <19> SDR22270 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairnfield 870m north east of Lane End Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2123 8059 (333m by 200m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:36PM