Monument record MDR6709 - Earthworks, Burnt Heath, Stoney Middleton
Type and Period (5)
- EARTHWORK (Undated)
- MOUND (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LEAD MINE (Undated)
- None recorded
A rectangular feature in the north corner of the field measuring nineteen metres by eight metres. There is also a circular feature located by the south west wall, with an overall diameter of twelve metres and an internal depression with a diameter of six metres. (1). Neither of these features were apparent in this field, however, there are other features. There is a mound against the north wall of the field which stands c. one and three quarters metres high and appears to be a heap of agricultural rubbish and may be quite recent. There are also three shallow circular depressions in the north end of the field. These measure c. twenty metres across and may be quarry depressions or geological features. (2). Ploughed-over lead mining remains of post-medieval and possibly earlier date. (3)
- <1> SDR16733 Index: NDAT. 2712. 2712.
- <2> SDR20333 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Castlegate Stud Farm, Stoney Middleton, Eyam, Great Longstone and Stoke, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1998. No.20, p17.
- <3> SDR22819 Unpublished document: Robbins, H & Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Castlegate Stud Farm, Foolow, Stoney Middleton and Eyam, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey for the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark Scheme, 2003. Feature 15.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2001 7531 (164m by 167m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 12:51PM