Monument record MDR6711 - Linear clearance of cairns, Stoke Flat West, Baslow and Bubnell
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
53-7 cairns, 1.5-7.5 by 6m with some fragmentary and some well-preserved linear clearance, forming subrectangular parallel fields. Near the escarpment edge the walls link natural outcrops. The area is divided by an intake/sheepfold. There are possible yards/small enclosures. Also some clustering of cairns and some individual ones. There is also a possible utilisation of natural sinkholes, as walls run up to them. (1) A series of Bronze Age cairns with associated clearance banks forming a prehistoric field system. About 50 cairns distributed throughout the monument. Many appear intact. The area has been widely cleared of surface stone - the cairns varying between 1.5m and 7.4m in diameter. Some are clustered together, and some are elongated or ovoid in shape. Primary function is thought to be clearance, but some may have been reused for funerary activity. The monument includes clearance banks - low and wide banks to a height of .6m. They define linear and irregular cleared areas. There are also a series of smaller enclosures or 'yards'. Scheduled along with an associated embanked stone circle (SMR 5901), a particularly dominant cairn (SMR1368) and associated sheepfold (SMR1369) (8). Photographic record and plan. (9-10)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR16738 Index: NDAT. 0291. 0291 (0281?).
- <4> SDR5717 Article in serial: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1963. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1963.
- <5> SDR16739 Index: Hart, C (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B277. B277.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR18167 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29805. Cat. No.: 386.
- <9> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1367.1.
- <10> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. Sketch plan: Butcher.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2510 7670 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||FROGGATT, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2015 10:41AM