Glossop gas works established in 1845. (1)
The Gasworks in Arundel Street has two main holders, one late 19th century, the other 20th century. (2)
Glossop Gas Works. Gasholder and office (1843) of the former Glossop Gas Company. The site was once notable for its examples of successive generations of gasholders. (3) The office is a grade II listed building.
There are two main gas holders, one with late 19th century Doric Column guides and one with scale-up side and pulleys on top. There is a two-storey masonry office which has five bays, circular headed windows, and a central pedimented door with an inscription above "Glossop Gas Works Established A. D. 1845". (4)
The only survivor of the gas works, the Glossop Gas Works Company offices, built in 1845, is a grade II listed building; the remainder of the gas works was closed in 1957 and later demolished. (5)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 031 942 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.