Monument record MDR672 - Glossop Gas Works (site of), Arundel Street, Glossop
Type and Period (1)
- GAS WORKS (Victorian - 1845 AD to 1845 AD)
Glossop gas works established in 1845. (1) The Gasworks in Arundel Street has two main holders, one late 19th century, the other 20th century. (2) Glossop Gas Works. Gasholder and office (1843) of the former Glossop Gas Company. The site was once notable for its examples of successive generations of gasholders. (3) The office is a grade II listed building. There are two main gas holders, one with late 19th century Doric Column guides and one with scale-up side and pulleys on top. There is a two-storey masonry office which has five bays, circular headed windows, and a central pedimented door with an inscription above "Glossop Gas Works Established A. D. 1845". (4) The only survivor of the gas works, the Glossop Gas Works Company offices, built in 1845, is a grade II listed building; the remainder of the gas works was closed in 1957 and later demolished. (5)
- <1> SDR14069 Index: NDAT. 0973. 0973.
- <2> SDR3888 Bibliographic reference: CGA Panel on Indust Mons 1975 11.
- <3> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 20.
- <4> SDR19110 Verbal communication: Guilbert, G & Smith, K. 2000. Pers. Comm.. Glossop gas works.
- <5> SDR21193 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Glossop. Archaeological Assessment Report.. Component 29.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 031 942 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM