Monument record MDR6791 - Robbed cairn, Offerton Moor, Offerton
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Dimensions: L: 18m Dimensions: L: 11.5m Robbed cairn with pit at centre (1) Ring cairn at SK204801 is probably this (5) The dimesions given in source 2 were to the central cairn, the outer platform was overlooked due to dense vegetation. The flat topped platform dimesions are stated (31.7.88). At the centre are several pits, the result of stone robbing or an undocumented excavation. Surrounding these is an inner cairn, dimensions ststed 31.7.88. This is of uncertain interpretation, either upcast from the central pits, or a prehistoric central cairn. There is a possibility it is the same site that was excavated in 1874 (SMR 15). The site may be one of those excavated by Pennington (8) or those dug in the eighteenth century (9). (6,7) Scheduled (10). Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (11)
- <1> SDR16977 Verbal communication: J. Barnatt. Site Description.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR16546 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1987. 'Bronze Age settlement on the East Moors of the Peak District of Derbyshire & S. Yorkshire', PPS. Volume 53.
- <4> SDR16974 Index: NDAT. 2843. 2843.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:1.
- <7> SDR16978 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 31254.
- <8> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire.
- <9> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7.
- <10> SDR22271 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairn 800m WSW of Offerton House.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2055 8083 (8m by 7m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:39PM