Monument record MDR6812 - Bole Hill, Millstone Quarries
Type and Period (4)
- STONE QUARRY (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- MILLSTONE WORKING SITE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
An extensive area of millstone quarries, mainly 20th Century in date. There are also many 'modern' type millstones in the area. The quarry is also known to have provided stone for the Upper Derwent reservoirs during 1903-1911, using a tramway system with a rope hauled incline (1) Bolehill Quarry was included in a report into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. Long series of quarries below the road. Exclusively massive - this was a grindstone quarry and there are many still lying around. Absolutely no sign of any slate in the quarry below the road. Chatsworth Grit. (2) Bolehill Quarry is shown south of the A6187 on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (3)
- <1> SDR15814 Article in serial: Tucker, D. 1985. 'Millstone making in the Peak District of Derbyshire: The quarries & the technology', Industrial Archaeology Review. Vol 8, pp 42-58.
- <2> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 107, Quarry Number Q88.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 249 795 (393m by 851m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 3:50PM