Monument record MDR6814 - Cruck Barn (site of), Padley Road, Nether Padley

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A cruck building with 1 arch braced cruck frame with tie beau, spurs and plate yoke; 1 with collar and plate yoke; 1 upper cruck rebuilt on tie beau. (1, 2) The building was scheduled and was described in 1960 as 'A stone barn of 3 bays. The outer wall, though in part rebuilt, is probably basically contemporary with the roof structure, and includes a heavy arched timber door frame. The crucks are very well finished, with cambered collar, spur ties at lower level, chamfered braces and chamfered fillets on the tie and beneath the traces, on the crucks. The length of the tie fillet suggests a relatively late date'. However, following a visit in 1984 it was described as 'no more than a (demolished) pile of rubble without timbers'. (3) A card on file at the Peak District National Park Authority records that the barn was demolished in 1972 and descheduled in 1991. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Index: NDAT. 1579. 1579.
  • <2> Article in serial: Marston, F. 1967. 'Cruck frames of Derbyshire; an interim report', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 87, pp 117-122.
  • <3> Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1986. Nether Padley Cruck Barn south of Maynard Arms Hotel. Derby 149.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Johnson, A (PDNPA). Personal observation and/or communication. 19/9/05.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 248 782 (point) (Centre)
Civil Parish GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 27 2013 3:25PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.