Find Spot record MDR6819 - Beaker Burial, Farmsley Lane, Stoney Middleton
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Fragments of two vessels, one a beaker, found in 1900 (most of the references, 3 is pertinent to a discovery made in 1926 and it is probable that the given date of 1900 may in fact be erroneous) during the course of roadstone extraction. The location of the finds were a few yards north of the Stoney Middleton - Wardlow Road, approximately 0.5 miles above the turning to Eyam. Again the references refer to Furness Quarry which has a central NGR of 2185 7610 and agrees with the written description of location, whilst the listed NGR 210 757 is located to the south of the road and is thus assumed to be incorrect. (1). One of the vessels was of Clarke's group S2 (E), 19 inch, 47 cm high. The vessel is now in Derby museum. (2). The remains of at least two individuals were found with the pottery. (6). There is no evidence in the original source that this burial was ever covered by a barrow. (5). Possible that a cairn was destroyed in collecting roadstone from Furness quarry (4), though source (5) disputes this through lack of any evidence.
- <1> SDR17045 Article in serial: Storrs Fox, W. 1927. 'Bronze Age Pottery from Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 11, No.199.
- <2> SDR4448 Bibliographic reference: Daniel, C. 1938. History of Eyam.
- <3> SDR3980 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. p393, 478.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p94.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 4:J.
- <6> SDR17043 Index: OS. SK 27 NW 36. SK 27 NW 36.
- <7> SDR17044 Index: NDAT. 2698. 2698.
|Grid reference||SK 210 756 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2007 1:38PM