Monument record MDR6835 - Lead mining, Burnt Heath, Stoney Middleton
Type and Period (5)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAKE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- COE ? (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Lead mining remains, including part of a rake, hollows and subsidence. There is some evidence that levelling has taken place on some of the mounds in the late 1970's/early 1980's. There is also evidence of ridge and furrow in the vicinity. (1). Area heavily disturbed for fluorspar but originally a major area of lead mining activity. Mining is first recorded in the 1670s. The mining was abandoned by 1880 when the Ordnance Survey map records the mines as old. The possible ridge and furrow recorded above is very indistinct. There is a hollow-way which runs from the north-west to south-east which confuses the interpretation of the ridge and furrow, though the former appears to cut the latter, suggesting the ridge and furrow is earlier. The hollow-way itself is either medieval or post-medieval in date, though the association with Farnsley Farm (see SMR 13184) suggests the latter (2,3). Maps and earthwork evidence suggest that there were temporary buildings here in the 19th century, most likely coes. (3).
- <1> SDR17081 Index: NDAT. 2723. 2723.
- <2> SDR20333 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Castlegate Stud Farm, Stoney Middleton, Eyam, Great Longstone and Stoke, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1998. No.27, p18.
- <3> SDR22819 Unpublished document: Robbins, H & Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Castlegate Stud Farm, Foolow, Stoney Middleton and Eyam, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey for the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark Scheme, 2003. Feature 20 p. 7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 203 754 (459m by 550m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 12:50PM