Skip to main content

Monument record MDR6838 - Earthworks and Mill (site of), 145m south-west of the School, Stoney Middleton

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The present field was divided into two and is shown as such on the 1848 tithe apportionment. The west side of the field was known as Foolow croft whilst the east side was known as Mill croft. The dividing wall followed the line of the wall which now continues in the field to the south. There was an earthen bank some 120m long and 1m high along the west field wall with an outer retaining wall and ditch in an adjacent field. A circular feature occurs half way along the west boundary adjacent to the bank. This feature measures 48ft by 62ft. The field is divided into three by means of earthen banks or lynchets. There is also a well in the east portion of the field. (1,2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Map: 1848. Stoney Middleton Tithe Map.
  • <2> Index: NDAT. 2727. 2727.



Grid reference Centred SK 2280 7531 (265m by 186m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 19 2009 4:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.