Monument record MDR6876 - Banktop Farm (site of), Glover Bank, Offerton
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Banktop, Offerton. Extant 19th century outfarm. The outfarm is formed of a loose courtyard with one side of the yard formed of agricultural buildings. The site is in an isolated location. All the traditional buildings remain extant. (1) (2) (3) (4) Ruin of a substantial stone house on a former track north west of Offerton Hall. Possibly medieval. (5) The ruin is not Medieval. (6) Banktop Farm (site of). Today a two-storey field barn stands, with an adjacent yard. To the south-east are the ruins of a farmhouse, the walls standing up to c. 1m high with much rubble surrounding them. The construction is gritstone ashlar and the dwelling had two main ground floor rooms, both small, and two attached subsidiary areas. Adjacent to the buildings were further small yards which can be partially traced today as levelled areas. The house and yards fell out of use and were demolished sometime between 1848 and 1926. The date of origin of the farm is not known; it is marked on the OS map of c. 1840 but could be substantially earlier. The site may be that of Glouer House (Glover House), recorded in 1609. While the ashlar construction of the house suggests a relatively late date, it may well be built on the site of an earlier dwelling. (7)
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR17168 Index: Rowlinson, H. 1984. Peak Park Treasures G12. G12.
- <6> SDR17169 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1992. Pers Comm.. 17 3 92.
- <7> SDR20069 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1989. Garner House Farm, Offerton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1989. Feature 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2084 8145 (48m by 40m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 3:27PM