Monument record MDR6888 - Cairnfield, Bamford Edge, Bamford
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Numerous small cairns in and near to the plantation north-north east of the bridge over the Hurst Brook. (1) Cairns are situated on a south west facing slope and constitute about 10 irregular shaped piles of stones. These are not burial cairns and are almost certainly an attempt at field clearance. Although much of the area is obscured by deep heather it has been burnt off in certain places and from these clear patches there is no evidence of associated fields, walls or lynchets, although the ground does have a 'cleared' appearance. Area delineated on 1:10560 Record Sheet. (2-4) Recent opinion would assign some of the peak cairns a medieval origin. (6) To the east of Hurst Brook, on the valley side and ridge above, is a group of between 11 and 14 small cairns, ranging in diameter from 1.5m to 5.0m. The central area of this group is badly disturbed by packhorse trackways, and other cairns might well have been destroyed. (7) Scheduled. Cairnfield consists of a generally stone-free area within which are 14 small cairns 1.5m - 4m in diameter. The area was probably used for cultivation. One cairn to the east side is slightly larger indicating that it may have been used for funerary purposes. The latter also overlooks a small stone circle to the north east (Scheduled separately: SAM 31223). (8)
- <1> SDR16560 Index: Preston, F. L. (HAS). Index D/68. Volume 12, D/68.
- <2> SDR19476 Bibliographic reference: R1 DJC 21-MAY-62.
- <3> SDR6605 Bibliographic reference: F2 ISS 16-MAY-78.
- <4> SDR16561 Index: NDAT. 0207. 0207.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
- <7> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. pp 25-26, Fig. 5.
- <8> SDR18226 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29841. Cat. No.: 29841.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 219 844 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:02PM