A barn at Offerton hall with two crucks, with tie beams and yokes. (1) It is suggested that three crucks remained with evidence of a further three having been removed. (2)
Grade II listed farm outbuildings dating to the 17th century and later. They are built of coursed rubble gritstone with quoins, plain gables and stone slated roofs. The outbuildings form an 'L' shaped range, with an archway to the junction of the two ranges. The north-east range is of a single storey, with seven bays and a doorway dated 1844 at the south east end, but mainly comprising a six-bay cruck barn, with five cruck trusses supporting a single purlin roof. There are ashlar dressings to 19th century doorways at the south east end, and arched openings to the north west end with double doors, one with cambered timber lintel. Two bays at the north west end have cambered heads to stone lintels, and two former two-light chamfer mullioned windows. The south-west range comprises a single storey range with a segmental archway at the north-east end, and single doorways at different levels as the ground rises to the south-west, mostly with quoined surrounds. (3)
The single-storey 'L'-shaped outbuilding at Offerton Hall is built from coursed sandstone blocks with a stone slate roof. The south-eastern three-quarters of the north-eastern range was built first, the rest of that range and the north-western rang were built later. The roof was replaced on the north-eastern range in 2002. At that time, four cruck frames with tie-beams and collars could be seen. Three crucks had been removed and replaced by stone gable supports. This range of the outbuilding was probably built as a barn to store and process grain or hay. The cruck-framed building would presumably have originally had wood and daub walls and a thatch roof. Later in its history it was encased within stone walls; this happened before the rest of the range was built but it was probably of a similar date. (4)
Twelve cores were obtained from timbers in the cruck barn in order to carry out tree ring analysis. These provided a felling date of 1592. (5)
Article in serial: Marston, F. 1967. 'Cruck frames of Derbyshire; an interim report', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 87, pp 117-122.
Bibliographic reference: Bunker, B. 1970. Cruck Buildings: An Opinion as to their Origin and Dating. LS 728.6. p. 53.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1109772.
Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2002. Offerton Hall, Offerton, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey, upland option, 2002. Feature 1.
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial report 17 September 1993.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 213 810 (42m by 34m) (Centre)
OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:18PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.