Monument record MDR6910 - Round cairn, south-west of Offerton House, Offerton Moor, Offerton
Type and Period (2)
This large cairn is flat topped and is 0.8m high downslope but has no perceptible height upslope. It appears to be unexcavated. There is a low possible peripheral platform to the south west that measures 2.5mm by 1.8m; it may be natural. This cairn may be one of the cairns excavated by Pennington (7), or in the 18th century. (10) The cairn lies in an extensive cairnfield (SMR 11106). Scheduled (10) Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (11)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR16546 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1987. 'Bronze Age settlement on the East Moors of the Peak District of Derbyshire & S. Yorkshire', PPS. Volume 53.
- <4> SDR17266 Index: NDAT. 1610. 1610.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p81.
- <6> SDR16548 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 384. p394.
- <7> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire. p50.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:3.
- <9> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7. p177.
- <10> SDR18376 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 31247. Cat. No.: 445.
- <11> SDR22268 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairnfield and ring cairn 490m south of Offerton Hall.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2077 8065 (14m by 14m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:37PM