A Romano-British route from Redmire reservoir to Dennis Knoll, via Stanage Edge. It is clear that Long Causey formed an important route from the Derwent Valley to Sheffield; but in its life span it was rebuilt and modified, probably around 1830 when the new road was built through Stanage Edge during the 'Enclosure' phase [see SMR 11349]. (1)
A major set of braided hollow ways running from Dennis Knoll plantation, across wet ground below Stanage Edge, to the Buck Stone. From here it rises diagonally up Stanage Edge, and follows the top of the edge for some distance before turning eastwards to Stanage Pole. This forms one stretch of a main highway that ran from the Hope Valley, with a branch from Hathersage, to Redmires and beyond. It has its origins in the medieval period, if not before, and was used as a saltway amongst other things. It was used until the 18th century, when it was replaced by another road by 1771 [see SMR 11349]. Various stretches of this route, known as Long Causey, have surviving lengths of stone causeway, comprising a double line of contiguous slabs set at cart/carriage width. One of these lengths occurs at a point where the route drops down Stanage Edge following a natural break in the cliff. This section is a Scheduled Monument [see SMR 11347], initially protected due to a mistaken interpretation as a Roman road. Such causeways were built from the medieval period to the 18th century, and the Long Causey cannot be any more closely dated than this (except that it predates 1771). At various times the causeway has been mistakenly thought to be the remains of a Roman road. The first time a Roman road was postulated was not until 1879. The lack of earlier descriptions of the road as Roman suggests that earlier antiquarians recognised it for what it was, a paved way that in their day was still relatively new, and for which memory survived of its construction and/or use. Despite the recognition that the Long Causey is not Roman, the tradition that it follows the line of a Roman road has been maintained. There is no evidence that this is the case and the attribution is almost certainly spurious, being nothing more than the product of earlier mistaken scholarship. (2)
Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55. pp 48-51.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. The North Lees Estate, Outseats, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. Feature A2, Catalogue of Archaeological Features, p 2.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 229 845 (1336m by 874m) (Linear)
OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.