Monument record MDR6933 - Barrow, Dennis Knoll, Outseats
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Length 16m, breadth 13m and height 0.5m. This site has been erroneously described as a ring cairn. (1,3) It is a robbed cairn which has had some, but not all, of its interior removed. It lies within an extensive cairnfield - SMR 11337. Its central position on the spur, and its larger size than other cairns, suggest it is a barrow. (4)
- <1> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 107.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 28:9.
- <4> SDR15205 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1987. 'An archaeological survey of Bamford and Hathersage Outseats, Derbyshire', Trans. Hunter Arch. Soc.. Volume 14, pp 43-55.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2282 8405 (30m by 29m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:03PM