Monument record MDR6938 - Highlow Moor, Barrows
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Rooke noted that several barrows had been excavated on Offerton, Abney and Highlow moors, and that human bones, 'urns', beads and rings had been found. (1) He did not, however, specify the locations of these barrows- candidates within Highlow Parish Include SMR entries 7803, 7807 and those within cairnfield 7805 (2) Further excavations are recorded at Highlow, one by stone getters, noted in 1831, produced 'urns', 'artificial gems' and 'other toys' (4) Mitchell dug several without result, noting that they had been dug previously by Rooke and Pegge (5)
- <1> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7.
- <2> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Sites 30:22, 30:29.
- <3> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR17246 Article in serial: Sheffield Independent. 1831. Walks in the Neighbourhood of Sheffield 1831. 16.7.1831.
- <5> SDR16516 Unpublished document: Mitchell, S.. 26.12.1846. Memoranda. Volume 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2125 8012 (512m by 306m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2015 1:07PM